Tropical Matcha Protein Bowl
They may look weird, but I LOVE me some green shakes! Whenever I feel like I need a superfood spirula boost, I put a teaspoon of powdered spirulina in my shake and it turns this gorgeous, deep green color. Plus, with the matcha, this shake gives you a real energy boost!
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 6-8 oz unsweetened flaxmilk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Vega Sport)
- 4 tsp tropical fruit matcha (by Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp powdered spirulina (I used Earth Rise)
- Optional: 1 cup spinach
- Start by blending your ice, mango & flaxmilk together. This gives the blender a chance to work on getting the big chunks broken down before muddling the shake with more ingredients
- Add the other ingredients and blend. Add more flaxmilk or ice as needed to alter the consistency.
This is the flaxmilk that I use. This company makes 3 flavors, unsweetened, sweetened and vanilla. I think the unsweetened has such great flavor, I’ve never tried the other two! Second to coconut milk, (and homemade alternative milk) this is my favorite, go to brand. It’s low cal and packed with omega-3’s.
You can use any kind of spirulina in this recipe, I just love this powder made by Earth Rise. It’s grown here in California! Just one teaspoon of spirulina contains 3-4 servings of vegetables, 2g protein, Vitamin A, Iron, Chlorophyll, antioxidants, essential fats, and many other vitamins and minerals. Now THAT’S a superfood!
*Including spinach but no additional toppings as shown
*This recipe contains just over 2g of fiber, and is PACKED with Vitamins A & C. It is also a good source of Calcium and potassium. Drink up!